Avalon

REVISED

ORIGINAL

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

It is evident what this is a picture “of” – an island in the mist. But what is less clear to me is what this picture is “about”. Why am I so drawn to early morning fog and mist? Perhaps it is because of my association with fog and silence – what is unseen is also unheard. In silence, it feels as though the barrier that separates me from the world around falls away. And then there is the phenomenon of revelation – the way “something” begins to slowly emerge from the “nothingness” of the fog enshrouded morning. It feels to me like a magic show where the curtain is slowly pulled back and the world revealed. In this case, what is revealed is this tiny gem of, well you could barely call it an island. But it seemed then as it seems now to me looking at this image, a perfect jewel that, rather than screaming, “look at me” simply is what it is without fanfare. I would be very interested to know what this picture is “about” for you.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Does the world really need another island-in-the-mist photo? Probably not. While I truly like this picture the real joy was in the taking of it. There is nothing so fulfilling for me as rolling out of my sleeping bag at 5 in the morning and stepping into a wonderland of thick impenetrable fog. And then just sitting in the muffled silence as the fog slowly begins to burn off revealing, well, in this case, another island in the mist.

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 9.11.08 AM

4 Likes

Ah-h-h-h, is my initial reaction. Peaceful and relaxing. I love scenes like this. Fog always softens and quiets the world. Something we could use more of.

1 Like

Quiet and gentle. I like it.

1 Like

Fog to me is the intangible made tangible. Atmosphere is mostly calculation, no, a formula of feelings contributed by a number of factors - a play of light and shadow, a scrim of something we see clearly and much of what we don’t, it’s a sense of anticipation and unknown. All of those things fog provides, plus it’s just so darn beautiful in the way it bends light. Featureless air doesn’t do that and so when we get fog we all charge right out into it. I did a whole series of fog in a bog this fall so check those out in my profile if you want my interpretation of foggy conditions.

This one reminds me of what I do with fog and my little Eagle Island just down river from me at the house. These islands are lonely out there by themselves. It’s rocky and the trees seem like they have it easy by low competition, but hard because of the shallow and probably nutrient poor soil. The little break in the fog in your scene to allow for a reflection is interesting and something you don’t usually see with fog this heavy. Looks like the position of the sun had a lot to do with that. I could see cloning out the dark bit on the left, but that’s just me.

Oh and I don’t mind that this is a picture of something. As a nature photographer, I feel that often times, what I see is enough. No interpretation or chicanery is needed to make me feel wonder and joy at being able to see and photograph it. This photo doesn’t scream look at me, it glides up to your shoulder and softly speaks, not in a whisper, and not in a command, but it’s just as imperative that you look.

Ok, I’ve read your comments. The world didn’t need this photo necessarily, but you did. Your joy of the process, the location and the conditions is enough to go through the trouble and I’m glad you did. I needed it too.

5 Likes

Ahhhh… so lovely…the world awakes…a transcendent beaut,y, Kerry. I also thought the small dark rock on the left side is out of place. And I am tempted to place a subtle shadowy vignette along the corners . A beautiful image.

1 Like

Kerry,
For me this image is about finding that serene, peaceful moment where you can relax and take a deep breath while enjoying your surroundings. I always enjoy the fog and mist as it has a calm stillness and dampness that I find inviting. You took care of my only suggestion with your repost.

Yes, IMO the world does need "another island-in-the-mist photo.

1 Like

I couldn’t say it better than @Kris_Smith did, so I won’t! It is a lovely image, just as it is. I am also drawn to foggy scenes. I like this image a lot. My only thought is perhaps it’s too centered, but that’s more of my old-fashioned tendency to believe a subject shouldn’t be centered. The shape of the island itself is not symmetrical, so it actually works. I see what others are saying about the rock on the left and It does look better in your revised image. Nice work.

1 Like

For this one the fog takes me back in time. It transports me. I think of Ivanhoe or some Arthurian legend or myth that took place long ago. Something so old that we’re not even sure it happened. I prefer this one to the previous one.

1 Like

Kerry, I love the etherial nature of your subject. The revision is an improvement, but the original is still charming. Your observations and responses are lyrical and speak to the moment’s mystery. I grew up in an area of northern California where it was foggy much of the winter. We could look down on the billowing white in the valley if we were not in the clouds. Being in the fog was not as charming as looking down on it. Your picture triggers these memories for me. So, for me, your picture is about what it is like to be on the island.

1 Like

A very ethereal and beautiful image Kerry. Fog is such a wonderful element.

1 Like

Kerry
my first reaction was: I would like to be there and take that photo. I could imagine the silent broken for the sound of a bird flying over the water.

1 Like

Wonderful image. I would hang this on my wall. For me, the fog creates a sense of calm that is ironically conducive to clarity of vision. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

What a gorgeous, inviting scene. I feel lkie I’m sitting on a rock along the edge of the lake, listening to the sounds of nature

1 Like

Kerry, this image ia all about standing together and living together for me. All the bushes and trees living on the rocks of this small island will stand together for years or decades, certainly protecting and supplying each other.

Fog helps to isolate and simplify the subjects of a theme. In this case the isolation accentuates this particular expression in a convincing way to me.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

@Chris_Baird , @Ian_Cameron , @Stephen_Stanton , @Ed_Lowe , @Paul_Holdorf, @Barbara_Djordjevic , @Eva_McDermott, @xavier, @Cathy_Proenza , @Michael_Lowe , -Thank you all for taking the time to look and comment. As I have said before, it is extremely gratifying to hear that my intention and your impression is aligned.
@Kris_Smith - Ah, a fellow philosopher - your insights are stirring and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your way of getting under the surface of things in sharing your perspective. Much thanks and appreciation.
@Igor_Doncov - Thank you Igor. As I’m sure you noticed I did title this image “Avalon” so your Arthurian reference is certainly aligned to my imaginings as well.
@Peter_Richter - Thank you Peter. A most interesting take on this image - not something I’d thought of but certainly some notions with which I resonate.

1 Like

This gives me the sense of isolation, and mystery. Fog almost always makes things mysterious for me because we can see some of what’s out there but not all of it so we have to fill in the blanks. It’s quite like a puzzle. It doesn’t reveal everything. Only enough to make you sit and wonder. This is beautifully processed as are all of your works. I find the contrast is just right and the colors are natural and muted. I love the depth and layers in this. The rework is terrific. Removing that small rock makes a big difference. It further isolates this little island from everything. Well done, Kerry!! I believe I like this better than your last one which was terrific.

1 Like

A beautiful, calming image. Never enough fog photos! Really enjoy this one.

Thank you for that information. The only Avalon I knew was the community on Catalina Island.

This image is about hope for me. So much of photography seems to be about capturing “reality,” whatever that is. Fog, on the other hand, gives the impression of peering in to what we can’t fully know, “the substance of things hoped for.”

Your prior image was a bit too opaque for my simple mind, but this one is eloquent. I wish I had more images like this in my portfolio.

Great observation. Others have said it’s about longing.

1 Like