Vanishing Point

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

A reasonable example of the visual perspective of a vanishing point. Reasonable focus throughout the image.

Creative direction

Demonstrate the size of commercial tulip fields. The farmers are not raising the tulips just to sell the flowers, but rather to sell the bulbs. The flowers are a by-product and they do sell them.

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D; Canon EF 16-36mm 2 35mm; f/9 @ 1/80 sec, ISO 2100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH55; Canon RS-80N3 remote switch

Description

Countless rows of tulips appear to converge on the vanishing point in the distance in Skagit Valley, Washington. This is a popular site for tourists. To prevent including tourists in any photos I waited until dinner time when they all left the fields. I spent the idle time before the tourists left scouting for the best views.

1 Like

Very nice, Bob. It’s been a long time since I’ve gone up there. The last time, I just parked at the first available location and walked to avoid the madhouse traffic.

I like the location you picked and your angle was wide enough to include the little sliver of adjacent fields on the edges which helps convey the scale of these operations.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank for your comments. Sounds like a bit of nostalgia. You must live somewhere in the PNW.