Partners in time

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was on my way back from an appointment and took some back roads. It’s always a good idea since little scenes like this come up. I deliberately went with a more vivid approach since so much of abandonment photography goes grungy or monochrome. This little barn and its partner silo are probably hard to see when the corn is high, but when it’s shorn, they shine right out. Also probably they are not used in any capacity, but I like the fact that they persist. There is a house, equally abandoned, to the left, but it was really tough to shoot since it was blocked by big trees that were recently cut, but so ugly. At least the field is still productive.

Specific Feedback

Orientation, cropping and processing ideas welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld on the side of the road as the locals gave me funny looks.

All processed in Lightroom for general contrast and color improvements. Lifted the mid tones slightly and added some texture, clarity and sharpening. Nothing too drastic.

I like it, Kris, and I like the idea of leaving it in color. There are lots of situations like this in farming country in our state as well. Farms are consolidated and the new owners don’t need two houses and it’s all monoculture, so they don’t need a barn or a silo. I recall talking with one farmer a number of years ago and he just preferred to live in town and drive out to his farm to do the work.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank - probably that’s close to the truth here. Lots of old houses and buildings all over the state.

This is one to keep an eye on! So many old barns I have tried to photograph over the years are just gone now.

If possible, it might be interesting to get off to the right and frame the scene at an angle, with the perspective on the barn leading the eye to the distant trees.