Next Steps

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a scene I’ve wanted to photograph for a long time but never could quite put the pieces together. Not sure that I’ve “nailed it” yet but this is surely the closest I’ve come. These two trees sit right at the entrance of one of my favorite local trails. I’ve been trying to see more challening compositions and pushing myself toward making them work vs chalking them up as too challenging. I feel that is my next step…

Specific Feedback

Do you have a preference for the 2x3 over the panorama (I originally shot it as a 2x3 and then decided adding a touch more on each side would give it some breathing room).

There are a couple spots of lens flare that I’ve tried to tame, not sure if they are noticeable to others…

I’m always interested in thoughts on processing and composition.

Technical Details

ISO 100, f/14, 1/25 sec, 75 mm

David, to me it’s the 2x3. The panorama is to cut of. And it makes everything smaller.

David, I like the panorama. It catches and holds my attention because it is unusual. The 2x3 is ordinary—nice, but it is what would be expected. The panorama puts more emphasis on the light in the foreground. What would have been in the composition if you had moved to the right for the panorama? The vegetation there isn’t as interesting as the green foliage on the left.

David,
Pano all the way for me as i like that bit of extra room on the right and left sides. BTW, you captured some beautiful light for this scene.

Another vote for the pano. The long horizontal layers work well for the pano as a composition. Beautiful light and shadow interplay in this image. Yes, I think having breathing space around both trees helps the pano a lot.

They are both excellent, but I’m gonna be an oddball and pick the 3x2 as my favorite. I think the pano seems to be a little more constricting vertically even though they are both the same height. The light, colors and textures are great.

David,

It’s a hard choice between the two versions. With the panoramic there is more breathing room around the trees and that gives the scene a more relaxed feel overall. With the 2x3, the view is closer to the trees and you can enjoy the details in the trunks and branches as well as the beautifully lit grasses. Both are nice, and I guess it comes down to what feeling you want to convey from the scene. How do you feel every time you see those trees, relaxed or fascinated by the detail?

Hi David, it is a difficult choice, but in the end I opt for the panoramic view, which has indeed more breathing space on either side. A drawback of the panorama is that there is less emphasis on the beautifully lit grasses in the foreground, which are a strong point of the 2x3. But in the end, the 2x3 feels ‘cramped’ in comparison, so your choice of adding space on either side was a good one in my opinion.

Love the colours, the yellow of the grasses contrasts greatly with the bluish tree trunks, and the green foliage adds a wonderful glow. I also like that you cropped out the (probably) white sky, which detracts from many forest images. Instead, there is this lovely atmospheric ‘misty’ light blue in between the trees, that add another layer of space. Well done!!

David, I vote for the cropped view. There you’ ve focused the interest on the foreground grasses and the middle bush, balanced nicely by the slightly brighter bits through the trees. The trees frame the view well. In the pano, I think you need some brightness in the lower left to fill interest across the full frame.

Well, have fun with this feedback David because I’m voting for the panorama (although I like both), which means votes fall close to even on this one. The extra breathing room just seems to frame the interest in the center with more balance.

Kudos on going after an area you’ve been eyeing; I have several of those. For some reason it seems harder for me to get out close around my home; it’s too easy to think “someday.”

Well…seems like there isn’t much consensus which may be a good reminder that there isn’t always consensus.
@Barbara_Djordjevic If I’m remembering correctly (and hopefully I’ll have a chance to get back there again this spring, it gets a little messier to the left, lots of sticks etc.

@Ed_Lowe Thank you! I’m normally here a bit earlier before the light comes over some trees in the background, this may be a good reminder to explore at different times during the day.

@Igor_Doncov, @Michael_Lowe Thank you for the kind words!

@Youssef_Ismail That is an interesting question. I would say more relaxed than fascinated!

@gerard Thanks or the thoughtful feedback. One of the first things I picked up on when shooting trees is that more often than not, it is better to remove the sky when you can. Not a hard and fast rule but has been helpful to keep in mind in the field.

@Mark_Seaver I may take a look at adding some brightness in the bottom left corner. I get what you are saying. I considered just cropping a bit off the left and right but not taking it all the way to a 2x3.

@John_Williams haha! As much as I love a good trip, I know if I want to have a camera in my hand it is probably going to be close to home!