In a Hummingbird Garden

My best gues is Synoeca septentrionalis

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We stopped at a hummingbird garden on our way between lodges in Costa Rica and while getting frustrated with the hummingbirds I noticed this wasp. Since it was just grooming on this flower stem, I decided to shoot it from about minimum focal distance (luckily with the lens I had that wasn’t very close as research indicates that this species has a nasty sting).

Specific Feedback

I’m not sure about the inclusion of the partial flower in the first image. Unfortunately, I clipped it when I framed this so that’s the way it is if I want to include it. The second image I consider a nice ID image, but not too appealing to anyone but an entomologist.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/1000, iso 5000. Preprocessed in DXO PureRaw 4 and further processing in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 3186x4236 for the first image and 2454x2286 for the second. Taken February 24th at 11:19 a.m.

1 Like

Dennis, I guess I’m an entomologist. I really like the second shot here. Nice job with the blacks and the depth. I do like the splash of color in the first one too.

1 Like

Dennis: I like both shots and I don’t mind the clipped flower. I like the added color it provides. I’m not a fan of wasps but at least this one is pretty photogenic.
On a completely unrelated note, how do you like your 200-600? I’m considering it but would appreciate your insights along with your experiences with the TC. I have a 2x and wonder if you have one also and have used it on this lens. Thanks for any commendation/condemnations you might have. >=))>

Perfect lighting and the second image has a stronger comp than the first. I do like the additional colors of the first image so the partial flower is just a minor nit. Overall, both are very pleasing images and the soft lighting with perfect exposure brings out a lot of details in the subject…Jim

Hi Dennis,
wow, that wasp looks really dangerous. I’m glad you didn’t have to get that close with your lens. :slight_smile:
Very cool shot. I love the details.

I don’t mind the flower either. I actually like both versions of the picture.

Costa Rica… I’m really jealous. I visited that lovely country five years ago. But I could return immediately. :slight_smile:

I do prefer the second shot, Dennis - fascinating how its mouth seems to be full of something crunchy. A good example of how a long lens can produce good macro results.