Great Green Macaw

Same bird, alternate frame.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was the afternoon of the day we got the Red-breasted Meadowlark. Our local guide said it was a 200 meter walk in, but the access road was steep gumbo, so we elected to walk it instead of drive which added another kilometer to our walk. However, it was worth it. This female was sticking her head out when we got there and the male showed up shortly thereafter. I didn’t care for the flight shots I got when she left the nest cavity and their chose perches were very high with steep angles. However another pair came in later and were interacting wonderfully and we managed some decent, if distant images of that action. It was mostly just wonderful to watch.

Specific Feedback

I did the square version first (different original with longer focal length), but I liked the idea of the vertical as well, so I processed one of the few frames I took vertically. I’m interested in which appeals more to you.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC, vertical at 566 mm, square at 840 mm, f/9, 1/400, iso 2000, tripod. Preprocessing in DxO PureRaw 4, processing in LR & PS CC. Both taken February 20th within a couple of minutes of 3:40 pm.

Hi Dennis, another beautiful bird from your trip. I like both versions. Tough to choose. I guess I like the first image best for the closer view of the bird. I could see another version with the bird close in but higher in the frame than the first image. Either way a fine catch.

I’m preferring the first one Dennis, I think that the bird is beginning to get a little lost on the second shot.