Glossy Swiftlets

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was one of the more interesting finds during my Borneo trip back in October. While boating on the Kinabatangan River, we came upon a colony of Glossy Swiftlets that were nesting in a small cave just above the water. It wasn’t easy zooming into a dark space filled with dark subjects while on a rocking boat, so I spent a fair bit of time trying to capture a few compositions featuring the tightly-packed birds. These swiftlets, by the way, are among the species that provide bird’s nest soup… they construct these using their saliva.

Technical Details

Canon R3
Canon 100-500mm
ISO 8000
1/400th
f/7.1

1 Like

Hi Max,
Love the pattern of the tails formed from each bird. Great to have the critical focus on the close bird in lower right. Excellent capture of a very interesting scene.

1 Like

Excellent job on a very tough scene, Max. Like Allen, I like the location of the in-focus bird and the tightly packed array is fascinating.

1 Like

A nice capture Max, you have managed to convey the closeness of the colony and their nesting site. The focus on the one bird draws you in.
I have been in a number of similar situations, distant dark spaces with lots of creatures, showing this as well as you have is never easy.

1 Like