Faded Hibiscus

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Just as wrinkles add character to people (or I hope so!), I found this “past its prime” hibiscus fascinating and beautiful

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome

Technical Details

Taken with a Sony A7riv and a Sigma 105 mm macro lens. This is a 15 image focus stack processed by Helicon with subsequent post-processing in Lightroom

Must agree with “wrinkles add character to people,” @WillR. What struck me at first was the beautiful flow of the lines created by the aging process. The lighting is lovely as well as the detail you have gotten in the petals and water droplets. Nicely seen and captured.

Ditto on the comment above by @linda_mellor . I will add that the nicely blurred green background acts like a frame and I love the texture in the flower. Well done!

1 Like

Will, this is just glorious. The hibiscus flower may be nearing its end, but you’ve shown us that it is certainly not past its prime. In fact, your image shows what I’ve long believed: wrinkles don’t just add character – they are part of our life-long, always-changing beauty. (We just need to stop believing the culture-bound propaganda of television and advertisements to see the truth.) Marvelous image. Thank you for sharing it with us – MET

Will, you may see this a past it’s best, but I see great beauty. I agree with what the others, @linda_mellor, @Michael_Thornton and @Willemd have said. I notice that it is a focus stack of 15 frames. That is impressive. Does the Sony a7riv have the ability to take repeated focus changes without your having to manually do the focusing?

1 Like

Thanks all,

@Barbara_Djordjevic unfortunately the A7riv does not have automatic focus bracketing. The A7rv does, but I have not upgraded to it.