Blowing Smoke

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

It is whimsical. Improbable.

Creative direction

To introduce a bit of humor where there isn’t any—the controlled culture of photography.

Specific Feedback

Did I make you laugh?

Technical Details

Canon EOS 10D; Canon EF 70-200mm +2x @ 400mm; f/5.6 @ 1/4000 sec, -1 EV, ISO 400; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55; canon RS-80N3 remote switch

Description

I noticed this interesting rock formation while hiking and making photos in Roxborough Park, Colorado. To me it resembles a mouth with pursed lips on a face in profile looking straight up. The delicate cloud passing overhead appears as smoke that has been blown out from within the rock’s mouth.

4 Likes

AWESOME! Bob

Bob: Interesting juxtaposition of elements for sure. It is indeed whimsical. I wonder if you posted this in macro by mistake as this would be more appropriate for Landscape. I took the liberty of moving it there for you. Nicely seen and presented. >=)>

Thank you @Ed_Williams and @Bill_Fach For your nice comments. Not the stock photo you would see from there. Thanks for moving it to a more appropriate category.

Well I got a laugh! First thing I saw was a resemblance to a buttocks…farting. Rotate 90°.
Once seen it can’t be unseen.

1 Like

Thank you@ Mark_Orchard for your interpretation. That particular bodily function did not come into my mind. Fifty-plus years of clinical practice numbs the common occurrences. The most common complaint of the elderly living in “care facilities” is flatulence.

1 Like

Pretty cool image, Bob. I also thought of a bodily function from the opposite end of the body. LOL. Either way, I like it. Similar to an old image from Galen Rowell.

1 Like

Thank you @Michael_Lowe for your comments. I was recalling Galen’s image “Split Rock and Cloud” in his book Mountain Light when I was composing this scene.

1 Like

Definitely gave me a chuckle Bob. My first thought was the same as @Jaded62. Nice vision on this.

Oh, Mark. I didn’t want to say that, but…

Yes, Bob, you and @Jaded62 have made me smile. :slightly_smiling_face: