Amongst the Trees

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this small patch of rapids in Devil’s Hopyard State Park. The two trees seemed like they would make a good “frame within a frame.” So that is what I was trying to do here.

Specific Feedback

Mainly looking for thoughts on composition. As I mentioned, I am trying for a frame within a frame idea here. I feel like composition is something I always rush, and I could be better at it.

Technical Details

Three images. Focus stacked. One image for the tree on the right, the other for the tree on the left, and one for the rock in the background.

Canon EOS R5
0.8 Sec @ f 13
ISO 100 40mm

The rapids and the rock are very interesting together Todd, but the trunks seem to almost intrude to my eye. Did you happen to shoot an image from farther back that showed both sides of the trunks with some river on the outside? I wonder how that would compare?

I like this idea of a window to the river and am wondering if the trees could be burned down a bit to lessen the stark contrast in lighting. It almost appears that the trees were illuminated by flash. Alternatively, moving in to eliminate the trees and have the rapids fill the frame would make a nice classic composition.

I had this same thought while editing. I wish I had shot wider and maybe made a 16x9 with this. Thanks for the input. Keep shooting, keep learning. I appreciate it.

It wasn’t flash, but the light did change as clouds rolled overhead. I do have a tight shot of just the rapids, but I wanted to use the “window” idea just for fun. I am beginning to think it didn’t work. But you never know if you don’t try.

Thank you for the feed back.

Always good to have reasons to go back out and enjoy nature. :grinning:

I really like this composition. I also like the colors. They seem to go well together.