Ice Orchids + Redos

Rodo

Redo 4

Orchid 2

Orchid 3

Orchid 4

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I bought this orchid 15 years ago for my wife on Mother’s Day. They look like a stick six months of the year.
They just started opening up today. These images are 15 minutes old.

Specific Feedback

Mood, emotion, and all things

Thanks

Technical Details

4/3 sensor Lumix G9 - I normally use my newer Lumix S5II but the 4/3 has better depth of field.
Also great for in-camera focus stacking.

Wow, what a stunning series. Love the intense color and sinuous forms. Dramatic, yet I get vulnerability, too. Did you use the in-camera stack feature for these? I still have my G9, but never got good results with it. The G9 M2 doesn’t have the feature anymore.

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith
Yes, I used the G9 in-camera stacking with auto-merge. This was my first digital camera, and then I upgraded to the S5 and then to the S5II; neither has in-camera stacking, but they both can stack images up to 100 frames, I think. But no auto in-camera. It seems like the smaller the sensor is, the more depth of field they have.
iPhones have a great depth of field, for example.
Steve

Beautiful orchids and I love the first image in particular. I do see a faint hint of a stem coming in on the lower left that you could remove, since it’s so indistinct that it doesn’t contribute anything to me. The second one shows the back of the flower well, but doesn’t really do much for me artistically. I like the third one for the unusual angle and the balance of the image is very nice.

Detail, color and lighting are superb in all three.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank
The redo is on top
I left the stem in because it was attached to the bud, but it looks much better without it. I also added a fourth image.
I have said this before, but you guys are like visual editors in book publishing.
You see things I do not and make my images better.
Thanks again
Steve

I like the redo a lot, Steve. I also like the fourth image, but you do have an errant stem under the flower that ends nowhere that you might want to remove.

And thanks. Catching stuff is a great advantage of this site.

Thanks again @Dennis_Plank
Redo of 4 is 2nd from top
Steve