Great Green Macaws Bonding & Triptych

Crude Approximation of a Triptych:

Public Display of Affection

Bonded

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We had a second pair of these birds come in while we were waiting for a better opportunity on the first pair. The first photograph they were in the nest tree of the other pair and we couldn’t be sure whether their antics were friendly or not. As the two follow-on images show, they were just indulging in a little bonding activity.

Specific Feedback

Anything. I’m looking at this as a series, so I don’t really care which is better or which appeals most.

Technical Details

All images were taken with the Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC at 840 mm, f/9, iso 3200, the first at 1/800, the second and third at 1/400. All preprocessed in DxO PureRaw 4, further processing in PS and LR CC. Substantial crops on the second and third, about 50% on the first. All taken between 4:20 and 4:24 on February 20th.

2 Likes

Wow! Wonderful!! My only suggestion is frame and hang. This could make a triptych, with the first vertical on the left and the second one on the right.

What Diane said. All three fantastic.

Very nice images Dennis. They go together well as a series. Beautiful birds. Well captured.

These are great Dennis, allowing the sky to go to white has provided a very suitable neutral background for the wonderful colours of the birds.
Get them on the wall.

Gorgeous birds, Dennis. I agree about a triptych and would love to see how you do this. Lovely interaction between the two birds. Their colors are just incredible. I agree with @Diane_Miller. Frame it and hang it!

@Diane_Miller @David_Haynes @Allen_Sparks @Ryan_H @Jim_Gavin

Thanks for the kind words. I’ve added a very crude approximation of a triptych at the top. Simply calculated the sizes I wanted the images and recropped them for some uniformity, created a blank file for the background, added uniform borders to the three images and pasted and aligned them on the background. I found I didn’t like my initial guess as to a decent background, so I changed it.

Perfect!!! Both thumbs up!

That came out really nice. The frame/border color works and meshes nicely with the birds colors. Super job on the framing. I’ll have to look at David’s preset for this. Thanks for posting this. You really should be very proud of the images you came home with from Costa Rica. They are incredible images.