Time Twisted + Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

There is a quiet strength in the woods, where trees stand like old bones. Daylight struggles through, and roots cling to the earth, deep and unseen.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

16 mm at ISO 640 and 1⁄60sec at ƒ/8

2 Likes

Don, Contorted (I had to look up this word in Dutch)indeed.It looks like a drawing and brings that mysterious feeling of ancient times . Great work to me !

2 Likes

This is really a great image Saundie. I love the dark, moody, contorted and obviously ancient tree. Right choice for B&W.

1 Like

Amazing subject!! I wonder about a different version (maybe not better, just different) with the BG more subdued – somehow… To make the amazing gnarled tree stand out more.

1 Like

Thanks, Ben! Yes, “contorted” could be phrased better. I changed the title to “Time Twisted”. :+1:

Thanks, Ed. I appreciate your comment! :pray:

Thanks, Diane. I have ‘hazed up’ and defocused the background a small amount. Do you think this is enough to highlight the tree without changing the mood of the image?

2 Likes

Really nice. I agree with @Ben_van_der_Sande . It looks like a drawing. Well seen and processed.

Yes! The second post helps bring out the wonderful tree!!

1 Like

Don,
That tree is oozing with character and the repost showcases it beautifully. I love the range of B&W tones and the way the limbs radiate outward from the trunk. It looks as though this beauty has been there for a while. No suggestions from me.

Thanks, Ed. I am sure it’s been there for hundreds of years. Here is a video about the general area if you are interested. It’s a magical place:

@Eva_McDermott

Thanks Eva! :pray:

Don - this image is outstanding. It is one of my favorites - of yours but also in general. The overall structure of the composition is very strong. I also like the role of texture and how that lifts the key. It is dramatic, yet there are hints of light and optimism. Very nice work.

Thanks, Bill, for your feedback. It is really appreciated. Sometimes, these very busy scenes can be a handful. I’m glad you like it! :pray: